While Extreme Heat continues to roast the entire U.S. East Coast, south Florida is sitting at 20 degrees cooler, with cloudy skies and torrents of rain every day.
With weatherpeople saying the heat wave may end next week, how can you stay cool now? (I’m an expert since my AC was out for 2 weeks, and now I have several friends in Maryland who’s AC has quit working.)
1. Always wear a wet T-shirt. Whether you’re running, or taking the dog for a walk, it’s going to be cooler and easier with a wet T-shirt! Evaporative cooling kicks in and keeps you cool. When I was a child in an unconditioned house in Los Angeles, I always wore a wet T-shirt to bed, so I could sleep at night.
2. Drink lots of water and sip more water, even if you’re not thirsty at the moment. Don’t guzzle coffee and sodas, instead drink regular cold water, or make a fruit-water drink by crushing watermelon and mint, or fresh peaches and mint in the bottom of your glass, and add water and ice.
3. Get that extra fan out of your garage, even if you have great AC because it will keep
the air moving in your house, and make it feel more comfortable.
4. Take care of your pets! Dogs don’t sweat – they only lose heat from their mouths, so make sure they have plenty of cool, fresh water, and bring them into the house, with the AC. I had a house rabbit who used to sleep right on the A/C vent!
5. Stay way from alcoholic drinks because it will heat you up, instead of cooling you down.
6. Let the kids, or YOU, play with water, in a park, in a pool, in the ocean, or even on a slip and slide, or fountain. When it’s hot, water is your best friend.
7. Cook cooler – serve cold fruit salads, and more fruits and vegetables to keep your hydration level up.
For a longer-term outlook on extreme, weather, check out www.accuweather.com