Seven Tips to Reduce Heat-Related Health Problems
I grew up in southern California without air conditioning! I used to jump in the pool and sleep in wet pajamas with a fan running to stay cool.
And don’t forget to give your pets the care they
need during hot weather!
The best defense is prevention. Here the top 8 tips for coping with hot weather.
1. Drink more liquids (not alochol) and drink more all day, not just
when you feel thirsty.
2. Don’t drink alcohol or sugary drinks – they cause you to lose
3. Stay indoors in air conditioning. If you don’t have a/c, go to
the library or the mall. And bring your pets into the air
4. Cool off with water, take a cool shower before bed. And make
sure pets have plenty of cool water, too, add ice to their water
5. Wear white, or light-colored clothing that doesn’t absorb the heat, it will
reduce insect bites, too.
6. NEVER leave children or pets in a closed vehicle during the summer and
especially during a heat wave.
7. Reduce strenuous outdoor exercise until the heat breaks.